Additional Content Download
Ahead of Research Facilities Design & Development we chat to Geraldine Mackenzie, Deputy Vice Chancellor, Research at Southern Cross University. Geraldine discuses Southern Cross University’s industry aligned research strategy, and how the new Centre for Organics Research is aiding multidisciplinary collaboration and attracting industry funding.
Ahead of Research Facilities Design & Development we chat to Milos Milutinovic, Senior Associate at architecture firm Woods Bagot. Milos discuses how Tonsley, Australia’s first innovation district, was developed to provide an environment where industry could innovate and grow through connection to research, education and collaboration.
Ahead of Research Facilities Design & Development we chat to Russell Hoye, Pro Vice Chancellor of Research and Director of La Trobe Sport, at La Trobe University in Melbourne. Russell discuses La Trobe’s $150 million world class Sports Park concept, an Australian first, that brings together the community and elite sport user groups with the University’s teaching and research expertise.
- Expanding collaboration and resource sharing leads to a reduction in quantity and cost of lab equipment
- Resource sharing equates to lower operational and maintenance costs
- Cultural shift when migrating to inter-departmental accessible facilities
- Using research partnerships and collaboration to increase facility utilisation
In this presentation from Research Facilities Design and Development 2017, Dr Sandris Zeivots explores the corrolaton between research facility design and student learning and expectations.
- Reducing electricity consumption by 30% while also doubling floor space through upgrading to use efficient plant, lighting and building control systems
- Upgrading equipment alarming system to a comprehensive system encompassing all Temperature Controlled Environments and a fully automated cloud based on call roster and alerting system
- Refitting new wet lab space into a fit for purposed Mass Spectrometry facility for the ProCan project
- A case study of the Organics Research Centre, a partnership between Southern Cross University and the NSW Department of Primary Industries
- Partnering with Governmental departments to further research collaboration
- Coordinating and integrating of basic and applied research; extension and commercialisation; education and training; and policy development and managing all relevant stakeholders
The federal government has contributed AU$50 million from its Next Generation Technologies Fund to help set up the NSW Cooperative Research Centre for Trusted Autonomous Systems.
wilson architects, in association with clarke and prince architects, has designed the new australian institute of tropical health and medicine (aithm) on thursday island. aithm was established by james cook university and encompasses three new health research facilities located in townsville, cairns, and in the torres strait.
In this article, influencers from La Trobe University, Woods Bago, Southern Cross University, The University of Adelaide and the German Max Planck Institute share 5 strategies they are each using in their own research facility projects to ensure project success.
Interested in attending the 4th Annual Research Facilities Design and Development Summit 2018? Fill out this interactive registration form and email it back to us email@example.com to fast track your attendance.
How to design and develop a research flexible research facility that meets the needs of the end user: An inside look at RMIT’s $30 million Micro Nano Research Facility
In this case study, Arnan Mitchell, Director of the Micro Nano Research Facility (MNRF) at Melbourne’s RMIT University, shares insight into the strategies RMIT used to future-proof the MNRF to allow for future expansion, how they engaged all stakeholders throughout the entire project lifecycle and key lessons learned from the project journey to date.
In this article, Higher Ed IQ has compiled 7 leading examples of best practice in Research Facility Design and Development across Australia and the world.