Darrell SmithFacility Manager
Malaghan Institute of Medical Research New Zealand
9:10 AM Cross-Disciplinary and Centralised Research Designs to Maximise Budget Allowances and Eliminate Redundant Resources
The Malaghan Institute of Medical Research is New Zealand’s leading independent biomedical research institute. This amazing charitable research institute raised $1.6 million in 2015 through a Charity Golf Tournament to support its research. In this session, Darrell Smithwith over 20 years of experience in designing laboratories- will explore the significant shift in the designs of traditional research labs. Research labs within the Malaghan now comprises of multiple disciplines working in one flexible zone. The walls that have once partitioned individual investigations have been removed. This session will highlight:
- Designing and developing multidisciplinary and centralised research spaces without an income stream
- Shifting focus from an end user level focus to better management strategies
- Translating the language between researchers to contractors to design the best and flexible facilities
- Maintaining high compliance levels for promising research
3:50 PM PANEL DISCUSSION: Can you keep up? Explore Futurist Design Infrastructures to keep up with the Changing World
Peer into the window of the future as experts predict the future of research laboratory designs and constructions. Today, we look into the trends in research programs and funding and how those trends affect the decisions intuitions are making when they build and renovate their laboratory spaces. Scientists, their machines and laboratories are built to be more amazing than they have ever been before. This panel will explore:
- Design facilities are moving into environments that meet the needs of today and accommodate demands of tomorrow? What kind of investments will we need to make?
- Do you think spatial characteristics will increase research’s creativity and innovation? If so how, and what kind of spatial factors?
- Attaining the latest state-of-the-art technology is big challenge. How do we keep up with this with so little funding?
- Cheap, Fast and Efficient Laboratory Designs: Will acquiring a perfect research facility be possible?