Director of ARC Nanocomm Hub, Director of Research, Professor in Structural Engineering
9:30 AM Case Study (Joint Plenary): Inside the Nanocomm Hub: Pioneering Research into Nano-Materials to Deliver Innovation to Australia’s Construction Sector
Inaugurated in 2016, the Nanocomm Hub was an initiative funded by the ARC and Industry partners to provide a platform for multidisciplinary teams to lease the advancement of construction materials. In this session, Professor Wenhui, Director of the Nanocomm Hub will highlight the design and space management of the facility that have generated early successes resulting in over 50 PhD students and 6 patents.
In this session, learn how Monash University:
- Supported collaboration across 13 different universities and 48 industry partners
- Overcame challenges in aligning the dynamics between industry and university groups
- Metrics used to analyse success of research to inform future investments in facility expansion
10:00 AM PANEL DISCUSSION: How Effective are Open Labs? Striking the Right Balance for Collaboration
During this discussion, we take a look at the effectiveness of open labs in sparking conversations and collaboration. New generation lab spaces are designed to reduce the amount of closed work spaces and allow researchers to engage in discussions outside of traditional communal spaces such as hallways or the cafeteria. However, the reality of open labs increases the level of noise, counter-productive to the intent of the design. Therefore, how can we design a space that strikes the right balance between work and interaction?
- Collaborative spaces: What works and what could be improved?
- Meeting the demand for types of support spaces, labs, office spaces and core areas
- Features to transition traditional researcher mindset on space utilisation
- Key ingredients for collaboration and effective use of space within labs